Bean bags are a popular choice for home furnishings, and there are a few different materials that can be used to fill them. If you’re looking for the best bean bag filler, keep reading.
We’ll discuss five of the most popular choices, and you can decide which is best for you. Each of our picks will offer comfort, affordability, and long-term durability.
Best Bean Bag Filler For 2022 (Our Top 5 Picks)
- Coymos Shredded Memory Foam Filling (Best Overall)
- Posh Creations Shredded Memory Foam Blend (Made in USA & CertiPUR-US Certified)
- Big Joe Bean Bag Refill (Best Polystyrene Beads)
- Molblly Bean Bag Filler Foam
- ACEssentials Bean Bag Replacement Pellets (Most Affordable)
Coymos Shredded Memory Foam Filling – Our Top Pick
The Coymos Shredded Memory Foam is 100% mattress grade memory foam (not a blend like some others) and is our top pick overall. Out of the products we’ve researched and tested, this was the best quality and gave the best results when filling a bean bag. However, unlike the Posh Creations foam (coming up next) it isn’t CertiPUR-US certified as it isn’t made in the US. It is, however, made to the same standards.
- 100% mattress grade memory foam
- They state that no sensitizing or volatile, irritating substances for health and safety.
- Built in gel particles prevent overheating – good for people who sweat a lot or feel hot while sleeping
- Easier to use than polystyrene beads (you don’t get little pellets flying all over the place!)
- The foam is not certified like our next pick
- It’s expensive. It’s best to use shredded memory foam refill for filling smaller projects like pillows, toys, dog beds etc. Or use it for topping up a bean bag chair to give it a bit more volume. If you were to take an empty bean bag cover and fill with this you would need A LOT.
The Posh Creations Shredded Memory foam refill is another top pick (for foam filled bean bags). Available in different pack sizes, it’s compressed for shipping and expands when the packaging is removed and the foam is fluffed. This CertiPUR-US certified foam, has been tested, analyzed, and found to be safe and not containing chemicals that could be unsafe for health.
- Made in the USA
- Meets CertiPUR-US standards
- Doesn’t contain fire retardent chemicals
- Durable enough to last a lifetime in your bean bag (or pet bed)
- Can be used to fill bean bags, soft toys, cushions, pillows and for all sorts of art and crafts projects.
- It’s more expensive than polystyrene beads
- It’s a memory foam “blend” which means it’s not all memory foam – there are probably a few different types of foam in it. It is furniture grade though.
Big Joe Bean Bag Refill – Best EPS Beads
Our recommended purchase is the 100 litre 2 pack which should be enough to top up most bean bags. Each bag contains 100 litres of 100% virgin polystyrene beans.
- They’re super cheap
- These polystyrene beans are recyclable
- The Big Joe refill is not just for reviving your bean bag chair. It can be used as packing material, for arts and crafts and lots more.
- You’ll have to buy replacement beads quite often (at least every 3-6 months). The beads don’t stay fluffy and voluminous for long. There is a 60 day guarantee that the filling won’t go flat with normal use, which isn’t very long.
- Filling any chair with EPS beads is messy, annoying and time-consuming if you don’t do it right. It’s a 2 person job, and is not as simple as it looks. Read customer reviews on Amazon for tips or scroll down to watch the video below that shows how to fill the bag without making a mess.
This is another good quality shredded foam product with plenty of positive customer reviews. Made in China but meeting US standards, this foam is perfect for filling bean bags, pillows, dog beds, soft toys and more. With added gel particles to keep you cool, this will help you or your pet to get a quality sleep. Available in a number of different size bags, each 5lbs will expand to approximately 2.5 cubic feet.
- Mattress grade memory foam
- Contains no flame retardants or allergens
- Added gel particles help to improve sleep quality (prevents overheating)
- Vacuum packed for convenient delivery. Make sure to put it into an enclosed space after removing it from the packaging e.g. a trash bag as it will expand significantly.
- Keeps its shape longer than polystyrene beads
- Like all the foam fillers we’ve mentioned, it can get quite expensive if you’re filling a large space. Perfect for topping up a bean bag chair or smaller projects though.
This is a nice affordable bag of polystyrene bean bag pellets to revive your dying bean bag! Like with all polystyrene beans though, they are very clingy, staticky and can cause a huge mess if you’re not careful when filling your bean bag. For the price, they’re great to give a bean-filled bean bag a boost. The bag is 100 litres in size (which is about 3.5 cubic feet).
- They’re cheap
- Can be used to fill any brand of bean bag chair
- Use them to refill bean bags, chairs, loungers, ottomans and more
- Made with high quality Grade A poly material for smaller, denser beans that are more durable and last longer
- A lot of the negative reviews on Amazon talk about static electricity problems and having problems trying to get the beads into the bag. This is a common issue with EPS beads (you have to funnel them in using a cardboard roll or something similar). Some people suggest using Static Guard on the opening of the bean bag and spray inside the bag before you fill.
Why would you need to buy bean bag filler?
To add some density to your bean bag chair
Bean bag chairs are great for lounging around and watching TV or reading a book. They’re typically very comfortable, but they can be made even comfier by adding additional filler. Sometimes you just want to add a bit extra to make the bean bag the exact density you want. Some people like theirs soft but you might prefer a bit more firmness and support.
To top up a flat bean bag
In time and with regular use, most bean bags tend to lose some of their density and can go a bit flat. If you’re feeling a little closer to the ground than you used to be, it might be time for a bean bag refill! Top up your bag with some extra bean bag filler and you’ll restore your bean bag to its former glory.
When making your own bean bag
Maybe you’re a bit crafty and decided to make your own bean bag? If you have the skills you can easily sew a bean bag cover using a pattern found online, but afterward, you’ve got to fill it with something! Our options here on this page are some of the best bean bag filler products available.
When buying a bean bag cover and filling separately
Alternatively, you can buy empty bean bag covers and fill the bean bag yourself. You might find this a slightly cheaper option than choosing one of the best bean bag chairs (they can be quite expensive). Do your research though because depending on the size of the bean bag cover, it might not save you as much money as you think! For instance, if you want a giant 7 foot bean bag chair, it’s actually cheaper to buy a prefilled chair rather than filling one yourself.
Most popular bean bag fillers
The following are two of the best options for bean bag filling.
Memory Foam Bean Bag Filler
If you’re looking for a bean bag filler that offers the most luxurious feeling, try shredded memory foam. These tiny pieces of foam are ideal for creating a comfort level that simulates sitting on clouds.
Memory foam is ideal for bean bag chairs because the bits of foam all move together and mold around your body shape. This provides great support while also being incredibly soft and comfortable.
Foam filler for bean bags also traps heat really well which is great if you live in a colder area of the country. It will keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Memory foam bean bag filler is the most popular option for comfy bean bag chairs, but is also the most expensive!
Polystyrene Beans (EPP beads)
Another popular non toxic bean bag filler is polystyrene beans or beads. This is typically the cheaper option and is popular for smaller bean bags, kids bean bags etc.
Virgin expanded polystyrene beans have been used for decades to fill up bean bags because they’re safe, lightweight, inexpensive and plentiful.
Polystyrene is a non-biodegradable material and cannot be recycled, and some people worry that it might not be good for the environment. However, this isn’t really a problem with bean bags as these are usually a long-term fixture in your home. They retain their form for years but eventually break down naturally and you just refill your bean bag when necessary.
Polystyrene beads compress when you sit on them offering a more supportive seat than foam. This is perfect for those who prefer to sit upright for reading, gaming or watching TV.
Things to consider when buying beanbag filler
Whether you’re looking at memory foam filler or polystyrene beads, both can be very comfortable. They are slightly different in how they feel though. Memory foam is mostly used in large, luxurious (and expensive) bean bag chairs. Lovesac, Yogibo and Ultimate Sack all contain shredded foam. These are soft, cosy chairs that you can sink into and relax after a long day.
Polystyrene beads offer a firmer, more supportive seat. They’re still super comfortable and the beads shift to enable you to sit in whatever position you want. Brands such as Big Joe offer numerous different types of EPS bead bean bags in all shapes and sizes for a very affordable price. The Moon Pod is a bit more expensive but is a good option for sitting watching TV, working on your laptop, or for anyone who needs an orthopedic bean bag chair.
Both memory foam and EPS beads are durable and will last a long time. A good quality bean bag should last a lifetime, but the filling may need to be replaced or topped up.
EPS beads will flatten over time as they become compressed each time you sit down. Eventually your bean bag will become flatter and less comfortable. This can be fixed by removing the filling and refilling your bag, or just by adding more EPS beads.
Memory foam tends to hold its shape for longer, but you may need to top up the foam to increase the volume or firmness of the seat after a few years of usage.
As we’ve already mentioned, eventually any bean bag will lose some of its density and start to flatten. To maintain your bean bag, you will need to refill with beanbag filler as time goes on. Depending on how often you use it, this could be within months, or it might be years before you need to top it up.
The most affordable option is to use EPS beads (polystyrene bean bag refill beads) which can cost as little as 20 cent per litre. A 100 litre bag is more than enough to rejuvenate any flagging bean bag chair.
Shredded memory foam is more expensive and can cost around $2-$5 per pound. Filling a cover from scratch with memory foam (particularly if it’s a 200lb+ bean bag chair) will definitely put a dent in your pocket!
FAQ For Bean Bag Filler
How much bean bag filler do I need?
If you are adding some extra filler to an EPS bead bean bag that has gone flat, it is commonly advised to add 100 litres of filler per year of usage.
When adding shredded memory foam to a foam filled bean bag 5 lbs of foam will expand to fill a volume of approximately 2 cubic feet.
Where to buy bean bag filler
One of the easiest places to purchase bean bag filler is on Amazon.com
Are bean bag beans toxic?
No, expanded polystyrene beads do not cause health risks to people, animals or plants. EPS beads are non toxic.
How to fill a bean bag
It’s easy to fill a bean bag with shredded foam – just stuff in the foam and zip it up. Polystyrene can be a bit trickier! See how it’s done here (without making a mess):
As you can see, there is an art to filling a bean bag chair, and it’s definitely a 2 person job! If you’ve ever spilled polystyrene beads you’ll know that they’re very difficult to clean up and they stick to everything, so make sure you do this carefully.
Bean Bag Filler Summary
It’s no secret that bean bag chairs are a popular choice for comfortable lounging, but if you want the ultimate comfort experience, try adding some high quality filler to your chair.
Whether you’re just topping up an existing bean bag, or filling an empty bean bag cover from scratch, our top picks will help you find the right bean bag stuffing for comfort and durability.
If you want a shredded memory foam filler, the ultimate in luxury and comfort, we recommend the Posh Creations Foam Filling Bean Bag Refill available on Amazon.
For a cheaper option, take a look at virgin polystyrene beads.
The Big Joe Bean Bag Refill is a popular and affordable filler that isn’t just for Big Joe bean bags. Use it to fill any bean bag chair, or even for packing boxes or other craft projects.